Welcome to the information retrieval guide, this guide will help you become a savvy online searcher and a critical thinker. The guide will help you with the entire information retrieval process from planning your searches to evaluating results and citing information.
Information retrieval skills are a vital part of information literacy which also refers to your ability to manage and critically evaluate information. Our aim is to ensure that all graduating students have good information retrieval skills required for information literacy, which entails that you:
- recognize the importance of information management in inquiry-based learning
- access the needed information exploring effective strategies and tools
- evaluate information sources critically
- use information ethically and abide by the copyright and licences
- identify and engage in scholarly and professional conversation to produce and distribute information
We're continously updating and adding new material to the ResearchKits. If you notice that the Kits are missing essential information or we're missing a guide altogether please drop us a line.
No research problem is too insignificant - we are here at the information skills clinic to help you!
At an information skills clinic you will receive personal guides in information seeking, help in finding and using the databases most relevant to your study subject and help with referencing.
Book a tailored clinic session by using our online form or by sending us an e-mail at tietokeskus[@]lamk.fi.